More than 700 talented student-athletes are currently busy preparing for the 2007-08 athletics year at the University of Iowa.
Some will be freshmen, new to the University of Iowa and the highest level of intercollegiate athletics competition. Others will bring to their team a season or two of experience in competition and in the classroom. Still others will be upperclassmen who will have experienced each of the 11 Big Ten Conference campuses, Big Ten tournament competition, NCAA championship competition or the fun and excitement of a post-season bowl game.
Beginning Aug. 3, hawkeyesports.com will introduce you to 24 Hawkeyes who, for one reason or another, are poised to play a prominent role in the intercollegiate athletics program at the University of Iowa in the coming year. The list will include student-athletes from football and field hockey to soccer, women's basketball and baseball.
A tentative list of Hawkeyes to be profiled, as well as the date they will be featured, is listed below:
- Thursday, Aug. 2 Jill Marcum (women's golf)
- Monday, Aug. 6 Bart van Monsjou (men's tennis)
- Thursday, Aug. 9 Catherine Smale (volleyball)
- Monday, Aug. 13 Jay Borschel (wrestling)
- Thursday, Aug. 16 Diane Nukuri (women's cross country)
- Monday, Aug. 20 Kevin Hoef (baseball)
- Thursday, Aug. 23 Claire Goldenberg (women's soccer)
- Monday, Aug. 27 Bryan Mattison (football)
- Thursday, Aug. 30 Kara Pinjuv (women's gymnastics)
- Thursday, Sept. 6 Wendy Ausdemore (women's basketball)
- Monday, Sept. 10 Shane Maier (men's indoor track and field)
- Thursday, Sept. 13 Kadi Sickel (field hockey)
- Monday, Sept. 17 Jacob Becker (men's gymnastics)
- Thursday, Sept. 20 Brittany Weil (softball)
- Monday, Sept. 24 Ray Varner (men's outdoor track and field)
- Thursday, Sept. 27 Brittany Keyes (rowing)
- Monday, Oct. 1 Andrej Lenert (men's swimming and diving)
- Thursday, Oct. 4 Kineke Alexander (women's indoor track and field)
- Monday, Oct. 8 Andy Napier (men's cross country)
- Monday, Oct. 15 Tony Freeman (men's basketball)
- Thursday, Oct. 18 Milica Veselinovic (women's tennis)
- Monday, Oct. 22 Renee White (women's outdoor track and field)
- Thursday, Oct. 25 Dan Holterhaus (men's golf)
- Wednesday, Nov. 7 Molly Houlton (women's swimming and diving)
Click HERE for the Big Ten Network web site.