March 14, 2014
MOUNT PLEASANT, S.C. -- The University of Iowa men's tennis team fell to No. 75 College of Charleston, 5-2, on Friday at the CofC Tennis Complex at Patriots Point.
Brian Alden and Michael Swank gave Iowa a solid start with an 8-2 victory over Brice Allanic and Charlie Ghriskey at the No. 1 position. The Cougars rallied at the No. 2 and No. 3 position to take the doubles point.
Senior Jonas Dierckx defeated Brice Allanic in straight sets at the No. 1 position to tally the Hawkeyes' first point of the match.
Sophomore Dominic Patrick topped Charlie Ghriskey, 6-3, 2-6, 6-3, at the No. 4 position, improving his singles record to 9-1 on the season.
The Hawkeyes went toe to toe with the Cougars, with three matches ending in the third set. College of Charleston claimed the match, topping No. 57 Iowa, 5-2.
Iowa returns to action on Saturday against The Citadel Bulldogs. The match is set to begin at 12:30 p.m. (CT) at the Earle Tennis Center.
No. 75 College of Charleston 5, No. 57 Iowa 2
1. Alden/Swank (Iowa) def. Allanic/Ghriskey (CofC): 8-2
2. Faiman/Lewis (CofC) def. Dierckx/J. Estenssoro (Iowa): 8-6
3. Lesser/Eucinas (CofC) def. White/Hallestrand (Iowa): 8-4
1. Jonas Dierckx (Iowa) def. Brice Allanic (CofC): 6-4, 6-2
2. Rodrigo Encinas (CofC) def. Brian Alden (Iowa): 5-7, 6-0, 6-3
3. Crescente Lesser (CofC) def. Juan Estenssoro (Iowa): 6-1, 6-2
4. Dominic Patrick (Iowa) def. Charlie Ghriskey (CofC): 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
5. Zack Lewis (CofC) def. Michael Swank (Iowa): 6-2, 5-7, 6-1
6. Alan Fairman (CofC) def. Nils Hallestrand (Iowa): 6-3, 6-7 (7-3), 6-3