March 15, 2014
CHARLESTON, S.C. -- The University of Iowa men's tennis team swept The Citadel Bulldogs, 7-0, on Saturday at the Earle Tennis Center.
"It was a good win for us today, especially given that it was our second outdoor match of the year," said head coach Steve Houghton. "I think that the team has adjusted well to playing outside. Getting used to the conditions of playing outdoors was our main purpose of this trip, so I am pleased that we are responding well."
Iowa took an early lead, claiming wins at all three positions to secure the doubles point. The Hawkeyes won the doubles point in 10 of 12 matches this year and owns a 9-1 record when winning the point.
Five Hawkeyes delivered straight set victories. Freshman Nils Hallestrand defeated Joe Bove, 6-1, 6-0, to improve to 5-1 in singles play.
"Furman will be a good team, a good challenge for us," said Houghton. "Getting a win against them will give us a lot of momentum and confidence as we head back home and start the conference season."
The Hawkeyes conclude their nonconference schedule on March 18 when they match up against Furman University at the Mickel Tennis Center in Greenville, S.C.
No. 57 Iowa 7, The Citadel 0
1. Alden/Swank (Iowa) def. Sperr/Berkabile (Citadel): 8-3
2. White/Hagan (Iowa) def. Bleach/Pride (Citadel): 8-2
3. Dierckx/Hallestrand (Iowa) def. Dedding/Grady (Citadel): 8-4
1. Jonas Dierckx (Iowa) def. Elliott Sperr (Citadel): 6-1, 6-2
2. Brian Alden (Iowa) def. Dillon Berkabile (Citadel): 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
3. Dominic Patrick (Iowa) def. Peter Bleach (Citadel): 7-6 (8-6), 6-2
4. Matt Hagan (Iowa) def. Jackson Pride (Citadel): 6-1, 6-0
5. Michael Swank (Iowa) def. Oliver Dedding (Citadel): 6-2, 6-3
6. Nils Hallestrand (Iowa) def. Joe Bove (Citadel): 6-1, 6-0