March 18, 2014
GREENVILLE, S.C. -- The No. 68 University of Iowa men's tennis team dropped its final spring break match Tuesday afternoon, falling to Furman, 4-3.
The Hawkeyes (9-4, 1-0) opened the match failing to take the doubles point for just the third time this season. Junior Matt Hagan and senior Joey White picked up a victory at No. 3 doubles with an 8-7 (7-5) tiebreaking victory.
Iowa stormed out of the gates in singles, winning three of the first four matches to take a 3-2 lead. Redshirt senior Brian Alden got the Hawkeyes on the board with a 7-5, 6-4 victory at No. 2 singles. Senior Juan Estenssoro won at the No. 3 spot, 7-5, 6-4, while Jonas Dierckx claimed a victory at No. 1. Dierckx dropped his first set 6-0 before coming back and taking the next two sets, 6-3, 6-5. Iowa was unable to secure victories in the two remaining matches and lost by a close 4-3 final.
The Hawkeyes now head into the main portion of conference play, looking to build off a strong first half of the season. Iowa, having its best start to a season since 2009, already has one conference victory to its name, as the Hawkeyes knocked off then No. 39 Minnesota in an early conference battle. Iowa will open up with three consecutive matches on the road, with matches at Wisconsin, Michigan, and Michigan State.
Iowa returns to the courts March 23, as they will face No. 58 Wisconsin in conference action. First serve is set to take place at 12:00 p.m. (CT) at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
Furman 4, #68 Iowa 3
1. Browne/Cook (Furman) def. Alden/Swank (Iowa): 8-7 (7-4)
2. Behal/Steryous (Furman) def. Dierckx/Estenssoro (Iowa): 8-5
3. Hagan/White (Iowa) def. Christ/Horst (Furman): 8-7 (7-5)
Order of finish (2,1,3)
1. Jonas Dierckx (Iowa) def. Adam Steryous (Furman): 0-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. Brian Alden (Iowa) def. Matt Browne (Furman): 7-5, 6-4
3. Juan Estenssoro (Iowa) def. Jacob Behal (Furman): 7-5, 6-4
4. Joel Cook (Furman) def. Matt Hagan (Iowa): 7-5, 7-6 (7-3)
5. Alex Christ (Furman) def. Dominic Patrick (Iowa): 6-4, 6-3
6. Ben Horst (Furman) def. Michael Swank (Iowa): 6-3, 6-7 (6-8), 6-3
Order of finish (2,4,3,1,5,6)