March 28, 2005
THIS WEEK: The University of Iowa rowing team will host a dual at Lake MacBride this Saturday, April 2, against the Minnesota Golden Gophers. Lake MacBride is located in Solon, IA, which is about 14 miles north of Iowa City. The course distance is 2000 meters and the events will begin at 10 a.m.
DIRECTIONS TO LAKE MACBRIDE: (From I-80)
1. Take I-80 exit 242; turn north onto 1st Avenue
2. Stay to the right at round about and continue on 1st Avenue (becomes North Liberty Road) for 3.4 miles
3. Turn left on Dubuque Street to North Liberty 1.6 miles
4. In North Liberty, turn right on N. Front St. (F28)
5. N. Front St. becomes Mehafey Bridge Road. Continue for 4.8 miles.
6. Immediately after the causeway, turn left of Cottage Reserve
7. Follow signs to the right to the boat ramp .7 miles
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
10:00 a.m. 2V8+
10:10 a.m. N4+
10:30 a.m. N8+
10:40 a.m. V8+
10:50 a.m. V4+
LAST TIME OUT: Iowa competed at the Longhorn Invitational on March 20. The best performance was when Iowa defeated the 15th ranked varsity eight from Texas. The Hawkeyes finished the weekend with five wins, led by the 1N8+ winning two medals.
HEAD COACH: Mandi Kowal is in her 11th year as head coach of the Hawkeyes and has led Iowa to the NCAA Championships three of the past seven years. Kowal was a two-time rowing World Champion in the Women's Lightweight Four without coxswain in 1986 and 1987. She was named Female Athlete of the Year in 1987 by the U.S. Rowing Association and was inducted into the United States Rowing Hall of Fame in 1997.