Jan. 25, 2014
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The University of Iowa women's tennis team opened the dual season with a pair of sweeps on Saturday. The Hawkeyes defeated Nebraska-Omaha, 7-0, in the opener before knocking off Northern Iowa, 7-0, in the nightcap. Today's win over Northern Iowa moves Iowa's all-time record against the Panthers to 8-0.
"The team competed well today in both matches," said UI head coach Katie Dougherty. "The double header allowed us to see more doubles combos and everyone made the most of it."
The Hawkeyes made short work of Nebraska-Omaha. Iowa swept the Mavericks in doubles to give them the early lead before going on to win all six singles matches in two-sets, giving Iowa the 7-0 victory.
Iowa's momentum carried over to their matchup with the Panthers. Five Hawkeyes won their matches against Northern Iowa in straight sets. After falling to Astrid Santos in the first set, 4-6, sophomore Caitlin Hindmarsh fought back to win the last two, 6-3, 10-7, giving Iowa a singles victory at the No. 4 position.
The Hawkeyes travel to Norman, Okla. next weekend to take on a pair of schools ranked inside the top 35, Oklahoma and Memphis.
"Our focus now shifts to Oklahoma and Memphis, two very good teams and great opportunities for us," said Dougherty.
Iowa 7, Nebraska-Omaha 0
1. Ruth Seaborne (Iowa) def. Alex Tran (UNO) 6-0, 6-1
2. Shelby Talcott (Iowa) def. Hylan Miller (UNO) 6-0, 6-2
3. Katie Zordani (Iowa) def. Molly Matricardi (UNO) 6-1, 6-2
4. Annette Dohanics (Iowa) def. Kenzie Hill (UNO) 6-0, 6-3
5. Ellen Silver (Iowa) def. Tiffany Hottman (UNO) 6-0, 6-3
6. Aimee Tarun (Iowa) def. Lindsay Weideman (UNO) 6-3, 6-3
1. Seaborne/McCulloch (Iowa) def. Miller/Tran (UNO) 6-1
2. Dohanics/Zordani (Iowa) def. Hottman/Matricardi (UNO) 6-1
3. Talcott/Tarun (Iowa) def. Baude/Hill (UNO) 6-2
Iowa 7, Northern Iowa 0
1. Ruth Seaborne (Iowa) def. Erica Medlin (UNI) 6-2, 6-1
2. Shelby Talcott (Iowa) def. Jieke Stroobant (UNI) 6-2, 6-3
3. Morven McCulloch (Iowa) def. Elvira Lopez (UNI) 6-0, 6-2
4. Caitlin Hindmarsh (Iowa) def. Astrid Santos (UNI) 4-6, 6-3, 10-7
5. Katie Zordani (Iowa) def. Krissy Lankelma (UNI) 6-3, 6-0
6. Ellen Silver (Iowa) def. Jordyn Kearney (UNI) 6-2, 6-1
1. Seaborne/McCulloch (Iowa) def. Kearney/Medlin (UNI) 6-3
2. Hindmarsh/Zordani (Iowa) def. Lopez/Santos (UNI) 6-3
3. Dohanics/Silver vs. Lankelma/Stroobant (UNI) 4-3, (Abd.)