Jan. 27, 2007
MILWAUKEE, WI - 36th-ranked Iowa was upset by 70th-ranked Louisville today in Milwaukee. Iowa won the doubles point, but could not hold on to the lead during singles play. Louisville, shorthanded due to illness, fought hard and defeated the Hawkeyes, 4-3.
In doubles play, Iowa claimed the point. Merel Beelen and Jennifer Barnes won by default, as Jacqueline Lee and Kayla Berry defeated Bianca Gorbea and Natalie Baez, 8-2. Hillary Mintz and Kelcie Klockenga were the last to finish, losing to Robyn White and Natalie Laskowski, 8-3.
In singles play, Barnes won by default, which led the Hawkeyes to a 2-0 lead. Louisville evened the score, with Klockenga's loss to Jo-Anne van Aerde, 7-5, 6-0, and Berry's loss to Gorbea, 3-6, 6-2, 5-4.
Iowa fought back and took a 3-2 lead with Beelen beating Baez, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2. Mintz lost to Laskowski, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4, which evened the score to 3-3. Louisville clinched the match with Lee's loss to White in a hard fought tiebreaking match, 6-3, 1-6, 7-6 (7-3).
"We lost a heartbreaker today," said Iowa Head Coach Daryl Greenan. "It was a tough loss to take but I am happy with the way the girls battled. We will use this close loss as a learning experience to help us in the future."
Iowa will return to competition tomorrow in Milwaukee, facing Marquette. Competition is set to begin at 10 a.m.
1. Robyn White (Louisville) def. Jacqueline Lee (Iowa), 6-3, 1-6, 7-6 (7-3).
2. Natalie Laskowski (Louisville) def. Hillary Mintz (Iowa), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4.
3. Jo-Anne van Aerde (Louisville) def. Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa), 7-5, 6-0.
4. Bianca Gorbea (Louisville) def. Kayla Berry (Iowa), 3-6, 6-2, 5-4.
5. Merel Beelen (Iowa) def. Natalie Baez (Louisville), 4-6, 6-4, 6-2.
6. Jennifer Barnes (Iowa) won by default.
1. White/Laskowski (Louisville) def. Mintz/Klockenga (Iowa), 8-3.
2. Lee/Berry (Iowa) def. Gorbea/Baez (Louisville), 8-2.
3. Beelen/Barnes (Iowa) won by default.