Feb. 2, 2007
IOWA CITY - 58th-ranked Iowa fell to Indiana State, tonight, at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex, 4-3. Iowa lost the doubles point, and won three out of six singles matches.
In doubles play, Indiana State claimed the point. Kelcie Klockenga and Hillary Mintz were the first duo to finish for Iowa, dropping to Indiana State's Jennifer Migan and Joanne Schickerling, 8-4. Mili Veselinovic and Jacqueline Lee finished second in doubles play, defeating Ariane Masschelein and Kelly Hamm, 8-6. With the score tied at 1-1, the doubles point was decided by the Kayla Berry and Merel Beelen's match against Fadzai Masiyazi and Sarah Galparoli. Berry and Beelen were defeated in a tiebreaking set, 8-7 (7-5).
In singles play, Beelen finished first for the Hawkeyes, defeating Hamm, 6-4, 6-4, to bring the match score to 1-1. Mintz finished second, falling to Schickerling, 6-4, 6-1, bringing the match score to 2-1, Indiana State.
Veselinovic was the third player to finish for Iowa, defeated Masschelein, 6-4, 6-4, bringing the match score to 2-2, while Klockenga was defeated, 6-3, 7-6, by Galparoli, to bring Indiana State ahead, 3-2. Berry was Iowa's next player to finish, and defeated Masiyazi in three sets, 3-6, 7-5, 6-4, to tie the match at 3-3. Lee's match was the final match to be finished, as well as the decision maker for the meet. Lee was defeated by Migan, 3-6, 6-0, 3-6, resulting in Indiana State winning the match, 4-3.
"We were down and out and we gave ourselves a chance, but we didn't have enough in the end," said Iowa Head Coach Daryl Greenan. "I have to give Indiana State credit for playing good tennis tonight."
Iowa will return to competition Sunday, facing Denver at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex, beginning at 10 a.m.
1. Jennifer Migan (Indiana State) def. Jacqueline Lee (Iowa), 3-6, 6-0- 6-3.
2. Mili Veselinovic (Iowa) def. Ariane Masschelein, 6-4, 6-4.
3. Joanne Schickerling (Indiana State) def. Hillary Mintz (Iowa), 6-4, 6-1.
4. Sarah Galparoli (Indiana State) def. Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa), 6-3, 7-6.
5. Kayla Berry (Iowa) def. Fadzai Masiyazi (Indiana State), 3-6, 7-5, 6-4.
6. Merel Beelen (Iowa) def. Kelly Hamm (Indiana State), 6-4, 6-4.
1. Migan/Schickerling (Indiana State) def. Klockenga/Mintz (Iowa), 8-4.
2. Veselinovic/Lee (Iowa) def. Masschelein/Hamm (Indiana State), 8-6.
3. Masiyazi/Galparoli (Indiana State) def. Berry/Beelen (Iowa), 8-7 (7-5).