Feb. 4, 2007
IOWA CITY - 58th-ranked Iowa fell to 47th-ranked Denver today at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex, 4-3.
In doubles play, Merel Beelen and Kayla Berry, competing at the third position, were the first duo to finish, defeating Rachel Sackmaster and Marisa Mechem, 8-5. Hillary Mintz and Kelcie Klockenga, Iowa's number one doubles team, was the second to finished, and earned the doubles point for Iowa with a win over Annette Aksdal and Ute Schnoy, 8-4. Mili Veselinovic and Jacqueline Lee were also successful in their doubles match, defeating Kyla Iwinski and Julia Bauregger in a tiebreaking set, 8-7 (7-5).
In singles play, Veselinovic was the first to finish, defeating Mechem, 6-0, 6-1, while Beelen finished second, defeating Iwinski, 6-1, 6-4, to bring the match score to 3-0, Iowa. Berry, Lee, Klockenga, and Mintz, were the last matches to be completed for Iowa, and all resulted in Denver victories, bringing the final score to 4-3, Denver. Berry, although defeated, played a tough match that ended in a tiebreaker won by Sackmaster, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3.
Beelen and Veselinovic were the two Hawkeyes to win both singles and one out of two doubles matches this weekend.
"We have to keep our heads up and keep working hard, and eventually things will go our way," said Iowa Head Coach Daryl Greenan. "We made progress today sweeping the doubles competition, and Mili and Merel both played well this weekend, as did Kayla with her huge comeback on Friday and almost winning her match today."
Iowa will travel to Tuscaloosa, AL, to compete against Furman and Alabama, February 10th and 11th.
1. Annette Aksdal (Denver) def. Jacqueline Lee (Iowa), 6-2, 6-1.
2. Mili Veselinovic (Iowa) def. Marisa Mechem (Denver), 6-0, 6-1.
3. Ute Schnoy (Denver) def. Hillary Mintz (Iowa), 6-1, 6-4.
4. Julia Bauregger (Denver) def. Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa), 6-3, 6-3.
5. Rachel Sackmaster (Denver) def. Kayla Berry (Iowa), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3.
6. Merel Beelen (Iowa) def. Kyla Iwinski (Denver), 6-1, 6-4.
1. Mintz/Klockenga (Iowa) def. Aksdal/Schnoy (Denver), 8-4.
2. Veselinovic/Lee (Iowa) def. Iwinski/Bauregger (Denver), 8-7 (7-5).
3. Berry/Beelen (Iowa) def. Sackmaster/Mechem (Denver), 8-5.