Feb. 6, 2011
IOWA CITY, Iowa - The University of Iowa women's tennis team fell 6-1 Sunday to Kanas State (4-0 overall) at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. The Hawkeyes, ranked No. 30 by the ITA, are now 2-3 overall on the season and 1-1 while playing at home.
"We give Kansas State a lot of credit," said Head Coach Katie Dougherty. "They were able to get the doubles point and played great singles. We know what we need to do to get better and we can't be playing scared out there."
The Black and Gold were unable to earn the doubles point, falling in two of the three matches. Junior Sonja Molnar and senior Jessica Young improved their doubles record to 4-0 while competing at the No. 1 position. The duo topped Karla Bonacic and Petra Niedermayerova 8-3.
In singles, senior Lynne Poggensee-Wei posted the Hawkeye's lone victory. Poggensee-Wei downed Nina Sertic 6-1, 6-3 at the No. 4 position. Two of Iowa's losses came in three sets.
The Hawkeyes return to the court Feb. 19 when they travel to Milwaukee to face Marquette at 10:00 a.m. (CST).
Kansas State - 6
#30 Iowa - 1
1. Petra Niedermayerova (KSU) def. #70 Sonja Molnar (IOWA) - 6-1, 6-3
2. Antea Huljev (KSU) def. Jessica Young (IOWA) - 1-6, 6-4, 7-6 (3)
3. Karla Bonacic (KSU) def. Alexis Dorr (IOWA) - 3-6, 7-5, 6-2
4. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (IOWA) def. Nina Sertic (KSU) - 6-1, 6-3
5. Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU) def. Christina Harazin (IOWA) - 6-1, 6-1
6. Petra Chuda (KSU) def. Ally Majercik (IOWA) - 7-5, 6-2
1. Sonja Molnar/Jessica Young (IOWA) def. Karla Bonacic/Petra Niedermayerova (KSU) - 8-3
2. Petra Chuda/Antea Huljev (KSU) def. Alexis Dorr/Lynne Poggensee-Wei (IOWA) - 8-6
3. Nina Sertic/Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU) def. Jessica Cohen/Christina Harazin (IOWA) - 8-3