Feb. 16, 2013
IOWA CITY, Iowa-- The University of Iowa women's tennis team swept a doubleheader today at the Iowa Tennis and Recreation Complex. The Hawkeyes defeated Drake, 7-0, in the opener before sweeping Western Illinois, 7-0, in the second match. Today's matches marked the first time since 2009 Iowa has recorded back-to-back shutouts, 7-0, 7-0.
Iowa swept the doubles point in both matches, extending its streak of consecutive victories when sweeping doubles to 25 straight matches.
Five Hawkeyes won their matches against Drake in straight sets, including Seaborne's victory over Klavdija Rebol to stay undefeated at the No. 1 position. Katie Zordani went the distance at No. 4, eventually topping Jordan Eggleston in three-sets, 6-3, 5-7, 9-7.
The Hawkeyes improved to 4-2 on the season with a win over the Leathernecks. Iowa grabbed the doubles point with a pair of 8-0 wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions.
The Hawkeyes maintained their momentum by blanking Western Illinois in the singles matches. Harazin earned a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Jessica Callahan to earn her fourth straight win.
Iowa will return to the courts on Feb. 22. The Hawkeyes host Oklahoma at 3 p.m. at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
Iowa 7, Drake 0
1. Ruth Seaborne (Iowa) def. Klavdija Rebol (Drake), 6-1, 6-2
2. Shelby Talcott (Iowa) def. Lea Kozulic (Drake), 7-5, 6-0
3. Morven McCulloch (Iowa) def. Evy Van Genechten (Drake), 6-1, 7-5
4. Katie Zordani (Iowa) def. Jordan Eggleston (Drake), 6-3, 5-7, 9-7
5. Christina Harazin (Iowa) def. Maddie Johnson (Drake), 6-4, 6-4
6. Caitlin Hindmarsh (Iowa) def. Nell Boyd (Drake), 6-4, 6-2
1. Seaborne/McCulloch (Iowa) def. Eggleston/Rebol (Drake), 8-3
2. Harazin/Zordani (Iowa) def. Van Genechten/Kozulic (Drake), 8-0
3. Hindmarsh/Dohanics (Iowa) vs. Boyd/Patterson (Drake), 5-4 abandoned
Iowa 7, Western Illinois 0
1. Shelby Talcott (Iowa) def. Yessenia Mejia (WIU), 6-0, 6-0
2. Morven McCulloch (Iowa) def. Elana Berdichevsky (WIU), 6-0, 6-0
3. Katie Zordani (Iowa) def. Jessica Callahan (WIU), 6-0, 6-0
4. Christina Harazin (Iowa) def. Kristen Havelka (WIU), 6-0, 6-0
5. Annette Dohanics (Iowa) def. Holly Conlin (WIU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Caitlin Hindmarsh (Iowa) def. Ese Davis (WIU), 6-0, 6-0
1. Seaborne/McCulloch (Iowa) def. Mejia/Conlin (WIU), 8-0
2. Hindmarsh/Dohanics (Iowa) def. Berdichvsky/Pazdernick (WIU), 8-0
3. Harazin/Silver (Iowa) vs. Callahan/Theobald (WIU), 6-1 abandoned