Feb. 18, 2012
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The University of Iowa women's tennis team suffered its first dual loss of the season at Oklahoma on Saturday. The 32nd-ranked Sooners (5-4) defeated the Hawkeyes, 5-2. Iowa is 3-1 this season.
The Hawkeyes lost the doubles point for the first time this season, as Oklahoma took two of three matches. Sophomore Christina Harazin and freshman Morven McCulloch earned Iowa's lone doubles win. The duo topped Abbi Melrose and Whitney Wofford, 8-4, at the No. 2 position to improve to 3-0 during dual play.
In singles, senior Sonja Molnar improved to a perfect 4-0 at the top spot with a 6-3, 6-4 win against Marie Pier Huet. Molnar, ranked No. 109 by the ITA, has won all four of her dual matches in straight sets.
Freshman Katie Zordani scored the Hawkeyes' second point by beating Nicole Long, 6-4, 6-4, at the No. 5 position. Zordani is 3-1 during dual play.
Iowa returns to action tomorrow at Oklahoma State in Stillwater, Okla. Play is scheduled to start at noon (CT).
No. 32 Oklahoma - 5
Iowa - 2
1. Huet/Ritchie (OU) def. Molnar/Talcott (Iowa), 8-4
2. Harazin/McCulloch (Iowa) def. Wofford/Melrose (OU), 8-4
3. Long/M. Lancaster (OU) def. Zordani/Majercik (Iowa), 8-4
1. Sonja Molnar (Iowa) def. Marie-Pier Huet (OU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Shelby Talcott (Iowa), 6-0, 6-1
3. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Morven McCulloch (Iowa), 6-4, 6-0
4. Abbi Melrose (OU) def. Christina Harazin (Iowa), 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (5)
5. Katie Zordani (Iowa) def. Nicole Long (OU), 6-4, 6-4
6. Whitney Wofford (OU) def. Ellen Silver (Iowa), 6-3, 6-3