Feb. 19, 2011
MILWAUKEE -- The University of Iowa women's tennis team fell to Marquette (5-3 overall) Saturday at Helfaer Tennis Stadium, 4-3. The No. 48 Hawkeyes are now 2-4 overall on the season and 1-2 while playing on the road.
The Black and Gold were unable to earn the doubles point, as they fell at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions. At the No. 2 spot, the senior duo of Alexis Dorr and Lynne Poggensee-Wei won an 8-4 decision over Paola Calderon and Rocio Diaz.
In singles, the Hawkeyes posted victories at the top three spots. At the top spot, junior Sonja Molnar topped Kelly Barry, 6-4, 6-1. Molnar, the No. 81 player in the country, improved to 4-2 on the season. Senior Jessica Young won 6-2, 2-6, 7-6 (5) over Olga Fischer at the No. 2 position. At the No. 3 spot, Poggensee-Wei beat Gillian Hush, 6-4, 6-2. Poggensee-Wei has won her last two singles matches.
Iowa will play tomorrow in Chicago at the Lakeshore Athletic Club against No. 34 DePaul. Play is scheduled to start at 1 p.m. (CST)
Marquette - 4
#48 Iowa - 3
1. Christina Ruiz/Gillian Hush (MU) def. Sojna Molnar/Jessica Young (IOWA), 8-6
2. Lynne Poggensee-Wei/Alexis Dorr (IOWA) def. Paola Calderon/Rocio Diaz (MU), 8-4
3. Rachael Hush/Chelsea Utting (MU) def. Jessica Cohen/Christina Harazin (IOWA), 8-3
1. Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. Kelly Barry (MU), 6-4, 6-1
2. Jessica Young (IOWA) def. Olga Fischer (MU), 6-2, 2-6, 7-6(5)
3. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (IOWA) def. Gillian Hush (MU), 6-4, 6-2
4. Paola Calderon (MU) def. Alexis Dorr (IOWA), 6-4, 6-2
5. Christina Ruiz (MU) def. Jessica Cohen (IOWA), 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
6. Chelsea Utting (MU) def. Christina Harazin (IOWA), 7-6(7), 6-0