Feb. 23, 2007
IOWA CITY, IA - The 59th-ranked Iowa Hawkeyes defeated the DePaul Blue Demons 6-1 Friday night at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. Iowa claimed five singles wins, and the doubles point in the match to improve to 4-3 on the season. The Blue Demons claimed one singles match and one doubles match, falling to 5-5 on the year.
The Hawkeyes started off strong, taking two of three doubles matches. The number two team of Hilary Mintz and Merel Beelen defeated Petra Rehusova and Kirsten Gambrell 8-2. The number three doubles team of Kayla Berry and Kelcie Klockenga won 8-3. The number one team of Jacqueline Lee and Mili Veselinovic fought hard but fell 6-8.
"It was good to get the doubles point" said Head Coach Daryl Greenan. "It led us into a strong performance in the singles matches."
The Hawkeyes dominated the Blue Demons in singles, winning five of the six matches. Veselinovic fought from behind for an exciting 6-2, 2-6 (10-7) win. Klockenga was also well tested, earning a 7-5, 7-5 win. The other Hawkeyes to win were Mintz (6-1, 6-2), Berry (6-4, 6-0) and Beelen (6-1, 6-0).
"This was a good win for us. DePaul was a very scrappy team tonight" Greenan said. "I was impressed with our close wins at the end to give us the 6-1 win."
The Hawkeyes return to action on Sunday, when they travel to South Bend, Indiana, to take on the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.
1. Dunja Antunovic (DePaul) def. Jacqueline Lee (Iowa) 6-1, 7-6
2. Mili Veselinovic (Iowa) def. Petra Rehusova (DePaul) 6-2, 2-6 (10-7)
3. Hillary Mintz (Iowa) def. Kirstin Gambrell (DePaul) 6-1, 6-2
4. Kayla Berry (Iowa) def. Bonyana Murisic (DePaul) 6-4, 6-0
5. Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) def. Anya Mihaldinch (DePaul) 7-5, 7-5
6. Merel Beelen (Iowa) def. Clare Chmiel (DePaul) 6-1, 6-0
1. Antunovic/Mihaldinec (DePaul) def. Lee/Veselinovic (Iowa) 6-8
2. Mintz/Beelen (Iowa) def. Rehusova/Gambrell (DePaul) 8-2
3. Berry/Klockenga (Iowa) def. Murisic/Shamel (DePaul) 8-3