March 2, 2012
SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- The University of Iowa women's tennis team lost to No. 17 Notre Dame, 7-0, on Friday at the Eck Tennis Pavilion in South Bend, Ind. The Hawkeyes are 4-3 this season.
"At spots we didn't compete or execute like we need to," said head coach Katie Dougherty. "Notre Dame is a very good team and left little room for error. We're going to regroup and be ready to go Sunday against another good team."
Notre Dame went 3-0 in doubles to earn the first point of the match. The Hawkeye line-up featured two new doubles duos. Freshmen Morven McCulloch and Shelby Talcott paired at the No. 1 spot, while senior Sonja Molnar and sophomore Christina Harazin teamed at the No. 2 position. Both duos were defeated in their respective matches.
In singles, Molnar pushed Shannon Matthews to a third set before losing 6-1, 6-7 (5-7), 1-0 (10-6). Molnar and Matthews were both ranked by the ITA entering the match. Molnar was tabbed No. 110 and Matthews was ranked 52nd. The loss was Molnar's first during dual play, as she fell to 6-1.
The Hawkeyes return to the courts at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex on Sunday. Iowa will square off against No. 38 DePaul at 10 a.m. (CT). The Hawkeyes are 4-0 at the HTRC during dual play. Admission is free.
#17 Notre Dame (9-3) - 7
Iowa (4-3) - 0
1. #52 Shannon Mathews (ND) def. #110 Sonja Molnar (IOWA), 6-1, 6-7 (5-7), 1-0 (10-6)
2. #73 Kristy Frilling (ND) def. Shelby Talcott (IOWA), 6-3, 6-1
3. Jennifer Kellner (ND) def. Morven McCulloch (IOWA), 6-2, 6-0
4. #102 Britney Sanders (ND) def. Christina Harazin (IOWA), 6-2, 6-0
5. Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) def. Katie Zordani (IOWA), 6-3, 6-2
6. Julie Sabacinski (ND) def. Ellen Silver (IOWA), 6-2, 6-2
1. #2 Kristy Frilling/Shannon Mathews (ND) def. Morven McCulloch/Shelby Talcott (IOWA), 8-1
2. Julie Sabacinski/Britney Sanders (ND) def. Sonja Molnar/Christina Harazin (IOWA), 8-5
3. Jennifer Kellner/Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) def. Ellen Silver/Katie Zordani (IOWA), 8-4