March 13, 2011
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The University of Iowa women's tennis team fell 5-2 against No. 32 Nebraska (11-1 overall) Sunday at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. Iowa dropped to 2-7 overall on the season and 1-2 while playing at home.
"Nebraska was better than we were today," said Head Coach Katie Dougherty. "We competed well across the board and the spots we came out short on we were outplayed. We have been getting better every week and I'm confident we have the ability to beat good teams."
The Hawkeyes were unable to claim the doubles point, falling at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions. At the No. 2 spot, seniors Alexis Dorr and Lynne Poggensee-Wei topped Jennifer Holmberg and Janine Weinreisch, 9-8 (6). In a battle of nationally ranked duos, No. 76 Madeleine Geibert and Stefanie Weinstein topped No. 33 Sonja Molnar and Jessica Young, 8-4 at the top spot.
Molnar and Young would both later avenge the doubles defeat in their singles matches. Molnar, the No. 102 player in the country, topped Geibert 3-6, 6-4, 10-6 at the top spot to improve to 6-3 on the year while Young defeated Weinstein, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5. Young improved her record to 3-6 while competing at the No. 3 position for the first time this season.
The Hawkeyes return to the road to play No. 64 LSU on March 16 and Tulane on March 18. Both matches will begin at noon (CST).
#32 Nebraska - 5
Iowa - 2
1. #76 Madeleine Geibert/Stefanie Weinstein (NEB) def. #33 Sonja Molnar/Jessica Young (IOWA), 8-4
2. Alexis Dorr/Lynne Poggensee-Wei (IOWA) def. Jennifer Holmberg/Janine Weinreich (NEB), 9-8 (6)
3. Patricia Veresova/Maike Zeppernick (NEB) def. Cassandra Escobar/Ally Majercik (IOWA), 8-1
1. #102 Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. Madeleine Geibert (NEB), 3-6, 6-4, 10-6
2. Patricia Veresova (NEB) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (IOWA), 6-3, 6-1
3. Jessica Young (IOWA) def. Stefanie Weinstein (NEB), 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
4. Janine Weinreich (NEB) def. Alexis Dorr (IOWA), 7-6, 7-5
5. Jennifer Holmberg (NEB) def. Ally Majercik (IOWA), 6-4, 6-1
6. Maike Zeppernick (NEB) def. Cassandra Escobar (IOWA), 6-1, 7-5