March 17, 2012
ORLANDO, Fla. -- The University of Iowa women's tennis team fell to Harvard, 5-2, on Saturday at the UCF Tennis Complex in Orlando, Fla. Iowa, ranked No. 73 by the ITA, dropped to 6-6 (0-1 Big Ten) during dual play.
"This was a disappointing loss for us today," said head coach Katie Dougherty. "We had a lot of chances out there, as we had a couple of match points to clinch doubles and a lot of close singles matches. There were bright spots and overall we've continued to get better every week. Next weekend will be a great test for us."
Harvard (5-3), who has been ranked as high as No. 60 by the ITA this season, won two of three matches to earn the doubles point. Freshmen Ellen Silver and Katie Zordani won their second match in a row at the No. 2 spot by defeating Hannah Morrill and Kelly Whelan, 8-6. Silver and Zordani pace the Hawkeyes with a 7-2 dual record, including a 3-0 mark at the No. 2 position.
Zordani also won her singles match at the No. 4 spot. The Lake Forest, Ill., native downed Whelan, 6-4, 6-4 to even her dual match record at 6-6.
Senior Sonja Molnar finished the Hawkeyes trip to Orlando with a 2-0 singles record. Molnar topped Kristin Norton, 6-3, 6-2, at the No. 1 position. Molnar improved to a team-best 9-3 during dual play with the win.
The Hawkeyes conclude a six-game road trip next weekend in Illinois against a pair of Big Ten foes. Iowa will play No. 13 Northwestern on March 24 in Evanston at 11 a.m. (CT) before taking on No. 46 Illinois in Champaign on March 25 at noon (CT).
Harvard (5-3) - 5
#73 Iowa (6-6) - 2
1. Sonja Molnar (Iowa) def. Kristin Norton (Harv.), 6-3, 6-2
2. Hideko Tachibana (Harv.) def. Shelby Talcott (Iowa), 6-2, 6-2
3. Samantha Gridley (Harv.) def. Morven McCulloch (Iowa), 6-2, 5-7, 10-3
4. Katie Zordani (Iowa) def. Kelly Whelan (Harv.), 6-4, 6-4
5. Natalie Blosser (Harv.) def. Christina Harazin (Iowa), 6-4, 6-4
6. Hannah Morrill (Harv.) def. Ellen Silver (Iowa), 6-3, 6-3
1. Norton/Tachibana (Harv.) def. Talcott/Molnar (Iowa), 8-3
2. Silver/ Zordani (Iowa) def. Morrill/ Whelan (Harv.), 8-6
3. Blosser/Li (Harv.) def. Harazin/Majercik (Iowa), 9-8 (8-6)