March 18, 2013
MALIBU, Calif. -- The 58th-ranked University of Iowa women's tennis team used five singles victories to rally past Dartmouth today, 5-2, on the campus of Pepperdine.
Iowa's nationally ranked doubles tandem, Ruth Seaborne and Morven McCulloch, earned their team-high ninth victory with a 8-3 win at the No. 1 doubles position, but the Big Green strung together consecutive 8-6 wins at the No. 2 and 3 positions to claim the doubles point.
The Hawkeyes (7-5) answered Dartmouth's threat with five dominating wins on the singles side. Iowa nearly swept through the singles lineup, scoring straight-set wins in each of their five victories. Seaborne, rated No. 75 in the ITA singles rankings, scored a 6-3, 6-3 win against Janet Liu to earn her eighth win of the season at the top singles position.
Sophomore Shelby Talcott kept pace with Seaborne in the win column, notching win No. 8 with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Katherine Yau at the No. 2 position.
McCulloch and junior Christina Harazin each earned their seventh wins of the season. McCulloch won 6-4, 6-3 over Akiko Okula at the No. 3 spot, and Harazin earned a 7-6, 6-3 win at the No. 4 spot against Melissa Matsuoka. Freshman Caitlin Hindmarsh also earned her seventh win of the season, topping Suzy Tan 6-3, 6-0 at the No. 6 spot.
"I'm very pleased with how we competed in singles," said head coach Katie Dougherty. "It was our first match outdoors in quite some time and we dealt with the elements very well. We have another day outside to prepare for a very good Long Beach State team on Wednesday."
Iowa returns to the court Wednesday at 4 p.m. (CT) to face No. 37 Long Beach State at the Rhodes Tennis Center. The 49ers have won seven straight home matches and are coming off consecutive wins against ranked opponents.
1. #75 Ruth Seaborne (Iowa) def. Janet Liu (Dartmouth), 6-3, 6-3
2. Shelby Talcott (Iowa) def. Katherine Yau (Dartmouth), 6-2, 6-2
3. Morven McCulloch (Iowa) def. Akiko Okula (Dartmouth), 6-4, 6-3
4. Christina Harazin (Iowa) def. Melissa Matsuoka (Dartmouth), 7-6, 6-3
5. Sarah Bessen (Dartmouth) def. Katie Zordani (Iowa), 1-6, 6-0, 10-0
6. Caitlin Hindmarsh (Iowa) def. Suzy Tan (Dartmouth), 6-3, 6-0
1. #45 Seaborne/McCulloch (Iowa) def. Okula/Yau (Dartmouth), 8-3
2. Matsuoka/Bessen (Dartmouth) def. Zordani/Hindmarsh (Iowa), 8-6
3. Liu/S. Tan (Dartmouth) def. Talcott/Dohanics (Iowa), 8-6