March 24, 2012
EVANSTON, Ill. -- The University of Iowa women's tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision to No. 14 Northwestern (8-6, 2-0 Big Ten) on Saturday at the Combe Tennis Center in Evanston, Ill. The Hawkeyes are 6-7 overall and 0-2 in Big Ten play.
"The doubles competition was the best we've played all year," said head coach Katie Dougherty. "We competed well at spots and they're the better team. We're look forward to playing a very good Illinois team tomorrow."
Northwestern swept the doubles point to take an early 1-0 lead. Senior Ally Majercik and freshman Shelby Talcott were paired for the first time this season. The tandem fell to Brittany Wowchuk and Linda Abu Mushrefova, 8-5, at the No. 3 position.
In singles, senior Sonja Molnar went toe-to-toe with Kate Turvy at the top spot. Molnar defeated Turvy, ranked No. 16 by the ITA, in the first set before falling 4-6, 6-4, 1-0. Molnar is 9-4 in dual play.
Iowa returns to action Sunday at No. 50 Illinois. The Hawkeyes and Fighting Illini play at noon (CT) at the Atkins Tennis Center in Champaign, Ill.
#14 Northwestern (8-6, 2-0) - 7
Iowa (6-7, 0-2) - 0
1. #16 Kate Turvy (NU) def. Sonja Molnar (Iowa), 4-6, 6-4, 1-0
2. #61 Brittany Wowchuk (NU) def. Shelby Talcott (Iowa), 7-6, 6-3
3. Belinda Niu (NU) def. Morven McCulloch (Iowa), 6-0, 6-2
4. Veronica Corning (NU) def. Katie Zordani (Iowa), 6-3, 6-3
5. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. Christina Harazin (Iowa), 6-1, 6-1
6. Stacey Lee (NU) def. Ellen Silver (Iowa), 6-2, 6-1
1. Nida Hamilton/Veronica Corning (NU) def. Sonja Molnar/Morven McCulloch (Iowa), 8-7
2. Belinda Niu/Kate Turvy (NU) def. Ellen Silver/Katie Zordani (Iowa), 8-5
3. Brittany Wowchuk/Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. Shelby Talcott/Ally Majercik (Iowa), 8-5