March 25, 2011
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The University of Iowa women's tennis team lost its Big Ten opener Friday against No. 71 Ohio State (9-7, 2-0 Big Ten). The Buckeyes topped the Hawkeyes 6-1 at the OSU Varsity Tennis Center, dropping Iowa to 3-9 overall and 2-6 in road matches.
Ohio State, 7-1 at home this season, secured the doubles point by winning two of three matches. The Hawkeyes lone victory came at the top spot, as junior Sonja Molnar and senior Jessica Young won an 8-4 decision over Kelsey Haviland and Cami Hubbs. Molnar and Young, the 40th ranked duo in the country, improved to 7-3 in dual matches after winning their second match in a row.
In singles, Young was the only Hawkeye to notch a victory. Young earned Iowa's lone point of the match by topping Kara Cecil 6-1, 7-6 (7-4) at the No. 3 position. Young has won her last two matches and improved her dual match record to 5-7.
The Hawkeyes will continue Big Ten play Sunday at Penn State. Play will begin at noon (CST) at the Sarni Tennis Center.
#71 Ohio State (9-7, 2-0) - 6
Iowa (3-9, 0-1) - 1
1. Sonja Molnar/Jessica Young (IOWA) def. Kelsey Haviland/Cami Hubbs (OSU), 8-4
2. Kara Cecil/Noelle Malley (OSU) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei/Alexis Dorr (IOWA), 8-5
3. Fidan Manashirova/Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Ally Majercik/Christina Harazin (IOWA), 8-5
1. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) def. #114 Sonja Molnar (IOWA),6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
2. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (IOWA), 6-1, 6-3
3. Jessica Young (IOWA) def. Kara Cecil (OSU), 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) def. Alexis Dorr (IOWA), 7-6 (7-0), 6-2
5. Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Christina Harazin (IOWA), 3-6, 6-1, 6-0
6. Noelle Malley (OSU) def. Cassandra Escobar (IOWA), 7-5, 7-5