March 25, 2012
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- The University of Iowa women's tennis team was defeated by No. 50 Illinois (10-5, 2-1 Big Ten) on Sunday at the Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex. The Hawkeyes fell to 6-8 overall and 0-3 in Big Ten play this season.
"This was a tough day in singles for us," said head coach Katie Dougherty. "Illinois is a good team and stepped up at key points. We let a lot of opportunities get away from us in singles and doubles."
The Fighting Illini claimed all three doubles matches to take a 1-0 advantage.
In singles, senior Sonja Molnar downed a nationally-ranked opponent for the second time during dual play. The Guelph, Ontario, native defeated No. 92 Allison Falkin, 6-4, 6-3, at the No. 1 position. Molnar moved to a team-best 10-4 in dual play, including a 2-3 mark against ranked opponents. Molnar owns a 4-1 career dual record against Illinois.
"Sonja did a great job today against a tough ranked opponent," said Dougherty.
Sunday's match concluded a six-match road trip for Iowa. The Hawkeyes return to the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex, where they are 5-0 this season, to host No. 46 Penn State and No. 66 Ohio State next weekend. Iowa faces the Nittany Lions on April 30 at 5 p.m. (CT). The Hawkeyes will play the Buckeyes on April 1 at 11 a.m. (CT). Admission is free.
#50 Illinois (10-5, 2-1) - 6
Iowa (6-8, 0-3) - 1
1. Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. #92 Allison Falkin (ILL), 6-4, 6-3
2. Marisa Lambropoulos (ILL) def. Shelby Talcott (IOWA), 6-2, 6-2
3. Amy Allin (ILL) def. Morven McCulloch (IOWA), 6-3, 6-1
4. Rachael White (ILL) def. Katie Zordani (IOWA), 6-1, 6-2
5. Breanne Smutko (ILL) def. Christina Harazin (IOWA), 6-2, 6-2
6. Misia Kedzierski (ILL) def. Ellen Silver (IOWA), 6-4, 6-3
1. Melissa Kopinski/Marisa Lambropoulos (ILL) def. Sonja Molnar/Morven McCulloch (IOWA), 8-2
2. Rachael White/Amy Allin (ILL) def. Katie Zordani/Ellen Silver (IOWA), 8-6
3. Chelcie Abajian/Allison Falkin (ILL) def. Ally Majercik/Shelby Talcott (IOWA), 8-4