April 7, 2012
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- The University of Iowa women's tennis team was downed by No. 45 Indiana (15-5 overall, 4-2 Big Ten), 6-1, on Saturday at the IU Outdoor Courts. The 72nd-ranked Hawkeyes dropped to 7-10 overall and 1-5 in the Big Ten.
"Indiana was better than us today," said head coach Katie Dougherty. "Slow starts and errors hurt us in both singles and doubles today. I think we took a step backwards in some respects. We've been making consistent improvement and need to continue that tomorrow against Purdue."
The Hoosiers claimed the doubles point by winning two-of-three matches. Iowa was victorious at the top spot, as senior Sonja Molnar and freshman Morven McCulloch defeated Sophie Garre and Katie Klyczek, 8-6. It was Molnar and McCulloch's second consecutive victory. The pair improved to 3-3 in dual play.
UI freshman Shelby Talcott scored the Hawkeyes' lone point in singles. The Long Island, N.Y., native won a 7-5, 6-2 decision against Evgeniya Vertesheva at the No. 2 position. Talcott owns a 6-10 dual record.
Iowa faces No. 34 Purdue on Sunday in West Lafayette, Ind., at noon (CT).
#45 Indiana (15-5, 4-2) - 6
#72 Iowa (7-10, 1-5) - 1
1. #99 Leslie Hureau (IND) def. #115 Sonja Molnar (IOWA), 6-1, 7-5
2. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Evgeniya Vertesheva (IND), 7-5, 6-2
3. Katie Klyczek (IND) def. Morven McCulloch (IOWA), 6-1, 6-0
4. Carolyn Chupa (IND) def. Katie Zordani (IOWA), 6-2, 6-0
5. Alecia Kauss (IND) def. Ellen Silver (IOWA), 6-3, 6-1
6. Shannon Murdy (IND) def. Christina Harazin (IOWA), 6-1, 6-4
1. Sonja Molnar/Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Sophie Garre/Katie Klyczek (IND), 8-6
2. Kayla Fujimoto/Evgeniya Vertesheva (IND) def. Ellen Silver/Katie Zordani (IOWA), 8-4
3. Leslie Hureau/Shannon Murdy (IND) def. Ally Majercik/Shelby Talcott (IOWA), 8-1