April 7, 2013
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The University of Iowa women's tennis team was defeated, 5-2, by No. 19 Purdue today at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex.
"I'm disappointed in the fact that we started this match behind with missed opportunities in doubles," said head coach Katie Dougherty. "Shelby did a great job today and was able to erase the point quickly, but others weren't able to stay out there long enough to put themselves in a good position. If we get everyone on the same page the same day we're a good team, and that's what we need to do next weekend."
Purdue secured the doubles point with victories at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. Freshmen Caitlin Hindmarsh and Annette Dohanics led the Boilermakers' Krisztina Kapitany and Gisella Pere 6-5 before the match was abandoned.
Sophomore Shelby Talcott earned a straight-set victory over Lynda Xepoleas at the No. 2 position to tally the Hawkeyes' first point of the day. No. 85 Ruth Seaborne earned Iowa's second point, defeating Mara Schmidt 6-3, 6-7, 1-0 at the top of the lineup. Seaborne's victory improves her singles record to 10-4.
Iowa's match against Purdue marked their 10th competition against a ranked opponent this season, including six conference foes. The Big Ten has eight teams ranked in the ITA top 75, including Michigan (8), Nebraska (11), Northwestern (12), Purdue (19), Indiana (32), Penn State (33), Ohio State (52) and Illinois (54).
So far this season, the Hawkeyes have been led by their No. 1 doubles team, Seaborne and Morven McCulloch. The duo is ranked No. 34 and has a 13-4 record. Hindmarsh, who entered the line up at the No. 5 position today, leads Iowa in singles play. The Sunderland, England, native has tallied a 11-4 record.
The Hawkeyes return to action on the road against Michigan State on April 13 and No. 10 Michigan on April 14. Both matches are set to begin at 11 a.m. (CT).
IOWA (8-10), 2
#19 PURDUE (13-2), 5
1. #85 Ruth Seaborne (Iowa) def. Mara Schmidt (Purdue), 6-3, 6-7, 1-0
2. Shelby Talcott (Iowa) def. Lynda Xepoleas (Purdue), 6-2, 6-1
3. Daniela Vidal (Purdue) def, Morven McCulloch (Iowa), 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
4. Tess Bernard-Feigenbaum (Purdue) def. Christina Harazin (Iowa), 6-1, 6-0
5. Krisztina Kapitany (Purdue) def. Caitlin Hindmarsh (Iowa), 6-1, 6-4
6. Gisella Pere (Purdue) def. Katie Zordani (Iowa), 6-3, 7-5
1. Schmidt/Kapitany (Purdue) def. #34 Seaborne/McCulloch (Iowa), 8-5
2. Xepoleas/Vidal (Purdue) def. Harazin/Zordani (Iowa), 8-3
3. Dohanics/Hindmarsh (Iowa) vs. Berdnard-Freigenbaum/Pere, 6-5 abandoned