April 8, 2011
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. - - The University of Iowa women's tennis lost a 5-2 decision against Illinois (8-8 overall, 4-1 Big Ten) Friday at the Kahn Outdoor Tennis Center. Iowa dropped to 2-3 in Big Ten play and 5-11 overall.
The Hawkeyes got off to a quick start in doubles, as senior Alexis Dorr and freshman Christina Harazin won the first match by topping Leigh Finnegan and Amy Allin 8-3 at the No. 2 position. Dorr and Harazin improved to 2-2 during dual matches. Iowa could not capitalize, as Illinois, 6-5 in home matches, won the next two matches to claim the doubles point.
In singles, the Hawkeyes fell in the first two matches before receiving victories from Dorr and junior Sonja Molnar to pull within one (3-2). Both individuals won their fourth match in a row, as Dorr won a 6-2, 6-2 decision over Breanne Smutko at the No. 4 position while Molnar, the No. 101 player in the country according to the ITA, defeated Amy Allin 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 1 position. Dorr, 4-1 in conference play, is 7-5 while playing at the No. 4 spot. Molnar, whose four consecutive wins have all came in straight sets, owns a 12-4 dual match record that includes a 4-1 mark in conference play.
The Hawkeyes will continue Big Ten play tomorrow against No. 16 Northwestern. Action will begin at the Combe Indoor Tennis Center at 11 a.m. (CST).
Illinois - 5
Iowa - 2
1. #20 Rachael White/Allison Falkin (ILL) def. #46 Sonja Molnar/Jessica Young (IOWA), 8-6
2. Christina Harazin/Alexis Dorr (IOWA) def. Leigh Finnegan/Amy Allin (ILL), 8-3
3. Breanne Smutko/Annie McCarthy (ILL) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei/Ally Majercik (IOWA), 9-7
1. #101 Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. Amy Allin (ILL), 6-2, 6-3
2. #96 Rachael White (ILL) def. Jessica Young (IOWA), 6-4, 6-2
3. Allison Falkin (ILL) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (IOWA), 2-6, 7-6 (7-3), 1-0 (13-11)
4. Alexis Dorr (IOWA) def. Breanne Smutko (ILL), 6-2, 6-2
5. Misia Kedzierski (ILL) def. Christina Harazin (IOWA), 7-5, 6-0
6. Annie McCarthy (ILL) def. Cassandra Escobar (IOWA), 6-0, 6-2