April 13, 2013
EAST LANSING, Mich. -- The University of Iowa women's tennis team clinched a 4-3 victory over Michigan State today at the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility.
"I'm proud of the way the team battled today," said head coach Katie Dougherty. "We dug ourselves a hole losing the doubles point. We had to find four singles matches and were able to do that today."
After suffering losses at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions, to drop the doubles point, the Hawkeyes handed the Spartans four losses in singles action to win the match.
Annette Dohanics split two sets against Michaela Silesova at the No. 6 position. Silesova led Dohanics 3-1 in third set before Dohanics rallied to 6-4 victory to clinch the win in the deciding match.
"We're still not playing our best tennis, but it's certainly getting better and the competing is getting much better," said Dougherty. "Dohanics did a great job out there today winning the deciding match. She's been out of the lineup for a couple matches and was able to battle back and come up big for us."
The Hawkeyes return to action against No. 7 Michigan State tomorrow at 11 a.m. (CT).
Iowa (9-10) 4
Michigan State (10-13) 3
1. Marina Bohrer (MSU) def. Ruth Seaborne (IOWA), 6-2, 7-5
2. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Olga Chernova (MSU), 6-1, 7-6
3. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Catherine Parenteau (MSU), 6-1, 7-5
4. Caitlin Hindmarsh (IOWA) def. Nicole Herzog (MSU), 6-1, 6-2
5. Emily Meyers (MSU) def. Katie Zordani (IOWA), 6-4, 7-5
6. Annette Dohanics (IOWA) def. Michaela Silesova (MSU), 6-2, 2-6. 6-4
1. Seaborne/McCulloch (IOWA) def. Bohrer/Parenteau (MSU), 8-5
2. Herzog/Silesova (MSU) def. Zordani/Harazin (IOWA), 8-1
3. Meyers/Gruber (MSU) def. Dohanics/Hindmarsh (IOWA), 8-5