April 15, 2011
IOWA CITY, Iowa - - The University of Iowa women's tennis team topped Michigan State (12-9 overall, 1-7 Big Ten) 4-3 Friday at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. The Hawkeyes improved to 3-4 in Big Ten play and 6-12 overall.
Iowa swept through the doubles point for the fifth time this season to take a 1-0 lead. The Hawkeyes have won 17 straight matches in which they have earned a sweep in doubles.
Senior Lynne Poggensee-Wei and freshman Christina Harazin claimed a victory in the first match against Nicole Herzog and Whitney Wilson. Poggensee-Wei and Harzin, playing together for the first time since Jan. 30, won 8-6 at the No. 2 position to improve to an even 2-2 during dual matches.
Junior Sonja Molnar and senior Jessica Young, ranked 24th by the ITA, jumped out to an early 3-0 lead en route to an 8-3 victory at the No. 1 spot against No. 27 Amy Barton and Marina Bohrer. Molnar and Young, 5-3 against nationally ranked opponents, won their second straight match against a nationally ranked foe to improve to 11-5 in dual matches and 5-2 in conference play.
Juniors Ally Majercik and Cassandra Escobar completed the Hawkeye sweep with an 8-7 (8-6) win over Olga Chernova and Katarina Lingl at the No. 3 position. Majercik and Escobar are 2-4 during dual match play.
In singles, Molnar easily defeated Barton at the No. 1 position, 6-0, 6-1. Molnar has won five of her last six matches, with all five wins coming in straight sets. Molnar, the No. 116 player in the country, is 13-5 during dual matches and 5-2 in conference play.
Harazin earned a 6-3, 6-1 win against Nicole Herzog at the No. 5 position to push the Iowa lead to 3-0. Harazin moved to 8-7 during dual matches with the victory.
The Spartans would pull to within one (3-2) before Young won a 3-6, 6-0, 6-4 decision over Valentina Rusakova at the No. 2 position to clinch the Hawkeye victory. Young improved to 9-9 in dual matches and 5-2 in Big Ten play.
The Hawkeyes will play their final home match of the season Sunday against No. 10 Michigan. Action will start at 11 a.m. (CST) at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. Live scoring will be available on the women's tennis schedule page at hawkeyesports.com.
Iowa (6-12, 3-4) -- 4
Michigan State (12-9, 1-7) -- 3
1. #116 Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. Amy Barton (MSU), 6-0, 6-1
2. Jessica Young (IOWA) def. Valentina Rusakova (MSU), 3-6, 6-0, 6-4
3. Marina Bohrer (MSU) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (IOWA), 6-1, 6-0
4. Olga Chernova (MSU) def. Alexis Dorr (IOWA), 6-4, 7-5
5. Christina Harazin (IOWA) def. Nicole Herzog (MSU), 6-3, 6-1
6. Dana Guentert (MSU) def. Cassandra Escobar (IOWA), 6-1, 6-1
1. #24 Sonja Molnar/Jessica Young (IOWA) def. #27 Amy Barton/Marina Bohrer (MSU), 8-3
2. Lynne Poggensee-Wei/Christina Harazin (IOWA) def. Nicole Herzog/Whitney Wilson (MSU), 8-6
3. Ally Majercik/Cassandra Escobar (IOWA) def. Katarina Lingl/Olga Chernova (MSU), 8-7 (8-6)