April 20, 2012
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The University of Iowa women's tennis team suffered a 5-2 loss to Wisconsin (12-10, 3-7) on Senior Day Friday afternoon. The Hawkeyes played for the final time this season at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. Iowa (8-13, 2-8) went 7-3 at home in 2012.
Iowa trailed Wisconsin, 1-0, after the Badgers won two-of-three doubles matches. Sophomore Christina Harazin and freshman Shelby Talcott were paired for the first time during dual play. Harazin and Talcott won, 8-4, at the No. 2 position against Hannah Berner and Nova Patel. It was the first time Talcott played doubles since April 8 against Purdue.
Freshman Morven McCulloch evened the score at one with a win at the No. 3 singles spot. McCulloch downed Sarah Loebel, 6-2, 6-1. The St. Andrews, Scotland, native owns an 11-10 dual mark that includes a 5-5 Big Ten record.
Wisconsin claimed victories at the No. 2, 4 and 5 positions to win the match.
Molnar won her final home match in an Iowa uniform. Molnar remained unbeaten against Wisconsin in her career, as she won a 7-5, 6-2 decision at the No. 1 position over Alaina Trgovich. The Guelph, Ontario, native is 5-0 all-time against the Badgers. Molnar improved to a team-best 15-5 (6-3 Big Ten) in dual play. The victory was 99th singles win of Molnar's career. Molnar could become the third individual in program history to reach 100 career singles wins with a victory in Iowa's season finale Sunday at No. 33 Minnesota.
The Hawkeyes and Golden Gophers square off Sunday at noon (CT) in Minneapolis, Minn.
Wisconsin (12-10, 3-7) - 5
Iowa (8-12, 2-8) - 2
1. #65 Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. Alaina Trgovich (WIS), 7-5, 6-2
2. Hannah Berner (WIS) def. Shelby Talcott (IOWA), 6-1, 6-3
3. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Nicky Stracar (WIS), 6-2, 6-1
4. Sarah Loebel (WIS) def. Katie Zordani (IOWA), 3-6, 6-3, 6-0
5. Nova Patel (WIS) def. Christina Harazin (IOWA), 6-3, 6-4
6. Aleksandra Markovic (WIS) def. Ally Majercik (IOWA), 6-4, 7-5
1. Nicky Stracar/Alaina Trgovich (WIS) def. Morven McCulloch/Sonja Molnar (IOWA), 8-3
2. Christina Harazin/Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Hannah Berner/Nova Patel (WIS), 8-4
3. Angela Chupa/Sarah Loebel (WIS) def. Cassandra Escobar/Ally Majercik (IOWA), 8-1