April 21, 2013
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The University of Iowa women's tennis team defeated Minnesota 6-1 today at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. Today's victory improves Iowa's season record to 10-12.
Shelby Talcott and Caitlin Hindmarsh picked up the first win of the day at the No. 2 doubles position, defeating Tereza Brichacova and Natallia Pintusava, 8-1. No. 46 Ruth Seaborne and Morven McCulloch topped Paula Rincon Otero and Doron Muravnik 8-5 to secure the doubles point.
Morven McCulloch led the way in singles action at the No. 2 position, topping Tereza Brichacova, 6-1, 6-2. Talcott, Seaborne, and Hindmarsh also defeated their opponents in straight sets. Annette Dohanics picked up her fourth-straight win as she defeated Alexa Palen, 4-6, 6-1, 10-8.
The Hawkeyes return to action when they compete in the 2013 Women's Big Ten Championships April 25-28. The tournament will be hosted by Indiana University in Bloomington, Ind.
IOWA (9-12), 6
MINNESOTA (9-13), 1
1. Ruth Seaborne (Iowa) def. Natallia Pintusava (Minn.), 6-2, 6-2
2. Shelby Talcott (Iowa) def. Tereza Brichacova (Minn.), 6-2, 6-2
3. Morven McCulloch (Iowa) def. Paula Rincon Otero (Minn.), 6-1, 6-2
4. Caitlin Hindmarsh (Iowa) def. Jessika Mozia (Minn.), 6-2, 6-4
5. Aria Lambert (Minn.) def. Katie Zordani (Iowa), 6-3, 2-6, 10-8
6. Annette Dohanics (Iowa) def. Alexa Palen (Minn.), 4-6, 6-1, 10-8
1. Seaborne/McCulloch (Iowa) def. Muravnik/Rincon Otero (Minn.), 8-5
2. Talcott/Hindmarsh (Iowa) def. Pintusava/Brichacova (Minn.), 8-1
3. Palen/Mozia (Minn.) vs. Zordani/Dohanics, 5-4 abandoned