April 22, 2006
IOWA CITY, IA - The 30th-ranked Hawkeyes defeated Purdue today, 5-2, in Iowa City. Iowa is now 16-4, including 8-1 against Big Ten opponents.
In doubles action, Krissy Dowlin and Mili Veselinovic were the first duo to finish, defeating Anna Dzeva and Brittany Minna, 8-1 at the number three doubles spot. However, Purdue had a strong doubles comeback and won at the number one and two spots, claiming the doubles point. Randi Schuler and Stephanie Wooten defeated Hillary Mintz and Kayla Berry, 8-4, at the number two spot, and Brooke Beier and Mallory Voelker defeated Meg Racette and Jacqueline Lee, 8-5, at the number one position.
In singles competition, Iowa played strongly and came out with five wins. Merel Beelen was the first to finish, and defeated Minna, 6-1, 6-0, at the number six spot.
"Merel's win was a big one to even the score and it was a relief to even the score so quickly. We had to fight back to get the win today," said Iowa Head Coach Daryl Greenan.
Mintz finished second for the Hawkeyes, defeating Brooke Beier, 7-5, 6-2, at the number two position, while Racette finished third at the number one singles spot, defeating Schuler, 4-6, 6-1, 7-5.
Veselinovic finished fourth and clinched the win for Iowa with her win over Voelker, 6-4, 7-6, 1-0. Lee finished next, defeating Wooten, 5-7, 6-4, 6-2, and Dowlin was the last to finish, falling to Dzeva, 7-6 (8-6), 6-3.
"I thought it was a huge win for us today. Purdue is a very strong team and they showed us that when they came out and won the doubles point. We kept our heads going into singles and that helped us win five singles matches and come out with the win," said Coach Greenan.
Iowa will continue competition tomorrow, at 10 a.m., hosting Illinois. Competition will take place at the West Campus Tennis-Recreation Center.
1. Meg Racette (Iowa) def. Randi Schuler (Purdue), 4-6, 6-1, 7-5
2. Hillary Mintz (Iowa) def. Brooke Beier (Purdue), 7-5, 6-2
3. Mili Veselinovic (Iowa) def. Mallory Voelker (Purdue), 6-4, 7-6, 1-0
4. Jacqueline Lee (Iowa) def. Stephanie Wooten (Purdue), 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
5. Anna Dzeva (Purdue) def. Krissy Dowlin (Iowa), 7-6 (8-6), 6-3
6. Merel Beelen (Iowa) def. Brittany Minna (Purdue), 6-1, 6-0
1. Beier/Voelker (Purdue) def. Racette/Lee (Iowa), 8-5
2. Schuler/Wooten (Purdue) def. Mintz/Berry (Iowa), 8-4
3. Dowlin/Veselinovic (Iowa) def. Dzeva/Minna (Purdue), 8-1