April 22, 2012
MINNEAPOLIS -- The University of Iowa women's tennis team fell to No. 33 Minnesota, 6-1, in its regular season finale Sunday at the Baseline Tennis Center in Minneapolis. The Hawkeyes enter the Big Ten Championships with an 8-14 overall record, including a 2-9 Big Ten mark.
"I'm very pleased with our effort today," said head coach Katie Dougherty. "We would have liked to execute better on some courts, but overall it was a hard fought match. Minnesota is a very good team and is playing well right now. We need to continue to try to get healthy and are looking forward to competing at the Big Ten Championships."
The Hawkeyes lost to the Golden Gophers (15-7, 5-6) in doubles, 3-0. Senior Ally Majercik and freshman Katie Zordani paired for the first time in dual play. Majercik and Zordani were defeated, 8-1, by Tereza Brichacova and Aria Lambert at the No. 3 position.
In singles, sophomore Christina Harazin put the Hawkeyes on the board with a win at the No. 4 position. Harazin downed Julia Courter, 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (7) to earn her fifth dual win of the season.
Senior Cassandra Escobar competed in the Iowa singles lineup for the first time during dual play. Escobar dropped a 6-0, 6-1 decision at the No. 6 spot against Magdalena Wiecha.
The Hawkeyes open the Big Ten Championships on April 26 in Columbus, Ohio. Brackets have not yet been released.
#33 Minnesota (15-7, 5-6) - 6
Iowa (8-14, 2-9) - 1
1. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. # 65 Sonja Molnar (IOWA), 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (7)
2. Doron Muravnik (MINN) def. Morven McCulloch (IOWA), 6-2, 6-2
3. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Katie Zordani (IOWA), 6-1, 6-4
4. Christina Harazin (IOWA) def. Julia Courter (MINN), 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (7)
5. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Ally Majercik (IOWA), 6-3, 6-2
6. Magdalena Wiecha (MINN) def. Cassandra Escobar (IOWA), 6-0, 6-1
1. # 46 Natallia Pintusava/Magdalena Wiecha (MINN) def. Sonja Molnar/Morven McCulloch (IOWA), 8-3
2. Alexa Palen/Doron Muravnik (MINN) def. Christina Harazin/Katie Zordani (IOWA), 8-3
3. Tereza Brichacova/Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Ally Majercik/Ellen Silver (IOWA), 8-1