April 24, 2005
The 49th-ranked Iowa women's tennis team fell to 52nd-ranked Purdue, 5-2, Sunday afternoon. The Hawkeyes drop to 13-8 overall, 7-3 in the Big Ten. Iowa finishes the dual season a school-best third in the Big Ten.
The Hawkeyes played strong in doubles, but were unable to earn the point. Meg Racette and Milica Veselinovic fell to Laura Burgarello and Shawna Zuccarini, 8-3, at the No. 1 spot. The match was followed with a win by Hillary Mintz and Jacqueline Lee over Amy Walgenbach and Stephanie Wooten, 8-6. In the deciding match, Anastasia Zhukova and Hilary Tyler were edged by Hala Sufi and Brooke Beier, 9-8 (5).
In singles, Racette upset 75th-ranked Hala Sufi in straight sets, 7-6 (10), 6-2. The only other Hawkeye point came from Veselinovic, who came from behind to defeat Beier, 3-6, 7-5, 7-5. With the win, Veselinovic is tied for most singles wins by a freshman at Iowa with 28. She will look to break the record at the Big Ten Championships.
The Hawkeyes return to action April 28-May 1 for the Big Ten Championships in East Lansing, MI.
Purdue - 5
Iowa - 2
1. Meg Racette (UI) def. #75 Hala Sufi (P), 7-6 (10), 6-2
2. Stephanie Wooten (P) def. Hillary Mintz (UI), 6-4, 7-6 (5)
3. Shawna Zuccarini (P) def. Anastasia Zhukova (UI), 6-2, 6-1
4. Milica Veselinovic (UI) def. Brooke Beier (P), 3-6, 7-5, 7-5
5. Amy Walgenbach (P) def. Jacqueline Lee (UI), 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Alyssa Rodriguez (P) def. Hilary Tyler (UI), 6-2, 6-0
1. Laura Burgarello/Zuccarini (P) def. Racette/Veselinovic (UI), 8-3
2. Sufi/Beier (P) def. Zhukova/Tyler (UI), 9-8 (5)
3. Mintz/Lee (UI) def. Walgenbach/Wooten (P), 8-6