April 24, 2014
EVANSTON, Ill. -- The University of Iowa women's tennis team defeated the 75th-ranked Michigan State Spartans in the first round of the Big Ten Women's Tennis Tournament on Thursday afternoon on the campus of Northwestern University, 4-2.
"The team did a great job battling today and handled the elements well," said UI head coach Katie Dougherty.
Iowa got on the board first by winning the doubles point for the 13th time this season.
Senior Ruth Seaborne and junior Morven McCulloch picked up an 8-7 victory at the No. 1 doubles position to improve to 15-4 overall. Michigan State came back at the No. 2 slot with an 8-7 victory of their own, but the Hawkeyes secured the doubles point with a victory from junior Ellen Silver and sophomore Annette Dohanics at the No. 3 position.
"Doubles was very important today and all three came down to a tiebreaker," said Dougherty. "We came back from down 6-2 at No. 3 doubles to force a breaker and were able to hang on for the win and the doubles point."
Iowa was able to jump to a 2-0 lead over the Spartans thanks to a straight-set victory at No. 2 singles from junior Shelby Talcott, 6-3, 6-1. The victory was Talcott's 11th of the season. However, Michigan State was able to cut the lead in half after picking up their first singles victory of the day from Athena Trouillot at the No. 6 position.
After junior Katie Zordani and Michigan States Erin Faulkner exchanged victories at the No. 4 and No. 3 positions, Dohanics came up clutch again with a three-set win at the No. 5 spot, clinching the victory for the Hawkeyes. Dohanics improved to 13-7 overall and remains undefeated at No. 5 singles (6-0). She has won four consecutive matches.
"After a tough loss a few weeks ago, we came out strong and got off to a good start by getting the close doubles point," said Zordani. "We continued to fight and compete well, which helped us pull through with a big victory today."
Seaborne led 2-0 in a tiebreaker set against Michigan State's Marina Bohrer before the match was abandoned.
"It was a great team effort and our focus is now on a very tough Michigan team tomorrow," said Dougherty.
The Hawkeyes return to the Vandy Christie Tennis Center on the campus of Northwestern University Friday morning for a second-round matchup against the No. 1 seed and 17th-ranked Michigan at 10 a.m. (CT).
Iowa 4, #75 Michigan State 2
1. Marina Bohrer (MICHST) vs. #89 Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) 6-3, 4-6, 2-0, unfinished
2. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Catherine Parenteau (MICHST) 6-3, 6-1
3. Erin Faulkner (MICHST) def. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) 7-6 (7-3), 7-5
4. Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. Emily Meyers (MICHST) 6-1, 7-6 (7-3)
5. Annette Dohanics (IOWA) def. Olga Chernova (MICHST) 6-2, 1-6, 6-3
6. Athena Trouillot (MICHST) def. Ellen Silver (IOWA) 6-1, 7-5
1. Ruth Seaborne/Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Marina Bohrer/Emily Meyers (MICHST) 8-7 (7-4)
2. Catherine Parenteau/Athena Trouillot (MICHST) def. Shelby Talcott/Katie Zordani (IOWA) 8-7 (9-7)
3. Ellen Silver/Annette Dohanics (IOWA) def. Erin Faulkner/Olga Chernova (MICHST) 8-7 (7-5)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,6,4,3,5)