April 25, 2013
Bloomington, Ind. -- The University of Iowa women's tennis team defeated No. 70 Ohio State, 4-2, today in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament at the Varity Tennis Courts on the campus of Indiana University.
"I'm proud of how the team battled today," said head coach Katie Dougherty. "We were able to immediately take the momentum back after losing the doubles point and kept our foot on the gas from there. Katie dialed up the confidence to close out her match that she hasn't had in a couple weeks and is a testament to her hard work and determination."
No. 43 Ruth Seaborne and Morven McCulloch led the Hawkeyes in doubles action, defeating Kara Cecio and Noelle Malley, 8-2. Their victory marks their third consecutive win, and improves their record to 18-5. Ohio State pulled away with the doubles point with wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions.
No. 89 Seaborne upset No. 61 Kelsey Dieters, 6-3, 6-2, at the No. 1 position. Seaborne's straight-set victory locked in Iowa's first point of the day. McCulloch recorded Iowa's second point, topping Gabby Steele, 6-2, 6-4. Caitlin Hindmarsh also won in straight sets against Kara Cecil, 6-2, 6-2, at the No. 4 position. Katie Zordani tallied Iowa's fourth and final point to secure the win, defeating Nicole Flower, 6-3, 6-4.
"We have another great opportunity tomorrow against a very good Michigan team," said Dougherty.
The eighth-seeded Hawkeyes will take on Michigan, the No. 1 seed, tomorrow at 9 a.m. (CT) in the Big Ten Tournament quarterfinals at the IU Varsity Tennis Courts.
#70 Ohio State, 2
1. #89 Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) def. #61 Kelsey Dieters (OSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) vs. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) 4-3, unfinished
3. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Gabby Steele (OSU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Caitlin Hindmarsh (IOWA) def. Kara Cecil (OSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Annette Dohanics (IOWA) 6-3, 6-3
6. Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. Nicole Flower (OSU) 6-3, 6-4
1. #43 Ruth Seaborne/Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Kara Cecil/Noelle Malley (OSU) 8-2
2. Kelsey Dieters/Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Caitlin Hindmarsh/Shelby Talcott (IOWA) 9-7
3. Fidan Manashirova/Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Katie Zordani/Annette Dohanics (IOWA) 8-6