April 28, 2006
CHAMPAIGN, IL - The 30th-ranked Hawkeyes defeated Illinois today, 4-0. Iowa is the number two seed at the Big Ten Championships, while Illinois is seeded tenth.
Iowa claimed the doubles point with victories in all three matches. Meg Racette and Jacqueline Lee defeated Emily Wang and Macall Harkins, 8-5, while Hillary Mintz and Kayla Berry defeated Brianna Knue and Shivani Dave, 8-4. Mili Veselinovic and Krissy Dowlin defeated Momei Qu and Alejandra Meza Cuadra, 8-6.
In singles competition, No. 37 Racette defeated No. 63 Harkins, 6-4, 6-1. The match between Mintz and Qu was abandoned after two sets, as was the match between Merel Beelen and Cuadra. Berry's match against Dave was abandoned after three sets.
In other singles play, No. 82 Veselinovic defeated Knue, 6-1, 6-3, and Lee defeated Wang, 6-0, 6-1.
Iowa will continue competition tomorrow against third-seeded Michigan.
1. #37 Racette (Iowa) def. #62 Harkins (Illinois), 6-4, 6-1
2. Mintz (Iowa) vs. Qu (Illinois), 6-3, 3-2 (abandoned)
3. #82 Veselinovic (Iowa) def. Knue, 6-1, 6-3
4. Lee (Iowa) def. Wang (Illinois), 6-0, 6-1
5. Berry (Iowa) vs. Dave (Illinois), 3-6, 6-0, 1-1 (abandoned)
6. Beelen (Iowa) vs. Cuadra (Illinois), 2-6, 0-4 (abandoned)
1. Racette/Lee (Iowa) def. Wang/Harkins (Illinois), 8-5
2. Mintz/Berry (Iowa) def. Knue/Dave (Illinois), 8-4
3. Veselinovic/Dowlin (Iowa) def. Qu/Cuadra (Illinois), 8-6