April 29, 2005
EAST LANSING, MI -
The 50th-ranked Iowa women's tennis team dominated 49th-ranked Purdue, 4-0, in the second round of the Big Ten Championships.
Iowa started strong against the Boilermakers, winning the doubles point. Meg Racette and Milica Veselinovic defeated Laura Burgarello and Shawna Zuccarini, 8-2. At the No. 2 spot, Anastasia Zhukova and Hilary Tyler downed Hala Sufi and Brooke Beier, 8-2.
In singles, Iowa won the first three matches. Racette pulled another upset over 74th-ranked Sufi, 6-3, 6-2. At the No. 3 spot, Zhukova defeated Zuccarini, 6-4, 6-1. Hillary Mintz clinched the Hawkeye victory with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Stephanie Wooten.
The Hawkeyes will continue Big Ten tournament play tomorrow at 11 a.m. against seventh-seed Michigan.
Iowa - 4
Purdue - 0
1. Meg Racette (UI) def. #74 Hala Sufi (PUR), 6-3, 6-2
2. Hillary Mintz (UI) def. Stephanie Wooten (PUR), 6-2, 6-4
3. Anastasia Zhukova (UI) def. Shawna Zuccarini (PUR), 6-4, 6-1
4. Brooke Beier (PUR) vs. Milica Veselinovic (UI), 6-4, 0-2, Abandoned
5. Amy Walgenbach (PUR) vs. Jacqueline Lee (UI), 6-1, 5-3, Abandoned
6. Alyssa Rodriguez (PUR) vs. Hilary Tyler (UI), 6-1, 4-4, Abandoned
1. Racette/Veselinovic (UI) def. Laura Burgarello/Zuccarini (PUR), 8-2
2. Zhukova/Tyler (UI) def. Sufi/Beier (PUR), 8-2
3. Wooten/Rodriguez (PUR) vs. Mintz/Lee (UI), 5-3, Abandoned