April 29, 2006
CHAMPAIGN, IL - The 30th-ranked Hawkeyes fell to No. 31 Michigan today in semifinal play at the Big Ten Championships. Michigan defeated Iowa, 4-3.
In doubles play, Meg Racette and Jacqueline Lee were the only Hawkeyes to win their match. The duo defeated 30th-ranked Kara Delicata and Debra Streifler, 8-6, at the number one position. Shafner and Sugiyama defeated Hillary Mintz and Kayla Berry at the number two position, 8-4, while Mili Veselinovic and Krissy Dowlin were defeated by Lindsey Howard and Nina Yaftali, 8-1, at the number three doubles spot.
In singles play, Racette, Lee, and Veselinovic were all successful in their matches. Racette defeated Kara Delicata, 6-2, 6-3, at the number one spot, while Veselinovic defeated Nina Yaftali at the number three singles position, 6-4, 6-4. At the number four singles spot, Lee defeated Debra Streifler, 5-7, 6-4, 7-5.
In other singles play, Mintz was defeated at the number two position, 4-6, 7-6 (3), 6-3, by Elizabeth Exon, while Chisako Sugiyama defeated Merel Beelen at the number five spot, 6-1, 6-2, and Lindsey Howard defeated Berry, 6-1, 6-1, at the sixth singles position.
1.#37 Meg Racette (Iowa) def Kara Delicata (Michigan), 6-2, 6-3
2. Elizabeth Exon (Michigan) def. Hillary Mintz (Iowa), 4-6, 7-6 (3), 6-3
3. Milica Veselinovic (Iowa) def. Nina Yaftali (Michigan), 6-4, 6-4
4. Jacqueline Lee (Iowa) def. Debra Streifler (Michigan), 5-7, 6-4, 7-5
5. Chisako Sugiyama (Michigan) def. Merel Beelen (Iowa), 6-1, 6-2
6. Lindsey Howard (Michigan) def. Kayla Berry (Iowa), 6-1, 6-1
1. Racette/Lee (Iowa) def. #30 Delicata/Streifler (Michigan), 8-6
2. Shafner/Sugiyama (Michigan) def. Mintz/Berry (Iowa), 8-4
3. Howard/Yaftali (Michigan) def. Veselinovic/Dowlin (Iowa), 8-1