April 30, 2005
EAST LANSING, MI -
The 50th-ranked Iowa women's tennis team was edged by 40th-ranked Michigan, 4-3, in the third round of the Big Ten Championships.
The Hawkeyes were unable to capture the doubles point against the Wolverines. Meg Racette and Milica Veselinovic put up a fight against 21st-ranked Michelle DaCosta and Kara Delicata, but fell, 8-6. At No. 3 doubles, Hillary Mintz and Jacqueline Lee dropped to Elizabeth Exon and Debra Streifler, 8-5.
In singles, Racette upset 65th-ranked DaCosta in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4. This is the sixth upset Racette has recorded this season. At the No. 3 spot, Anastasia Zhukova defeated Delicata, 6-4, 6-3. Veselinovic downed Leanne Rutherford, 6-2, 7-5, to clinch 29 wins and the school record for most singles wins by a freshman.
The Hawkeyes will find out Wednesday, May 4 if they are selected for the NCAA Championship Tournament.
Michigan - 4
Iowa - 3
1. Meg Racette (UI) def. #65 Michelle DaCosta (UM), 6-1, 6-4
2. Elizabeth Exon (UM) def. Hillary Mintz (UI), 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
3. Anastasia Zhukova (UI) def. Kara Delicata (UM), 6-4, 6-3
4. Milica Veselinovic (UI) def. Leanne Rutherford (UM), 6-2, 7-5
5. Debra Streifler (UM) def. Jacqueline Lee (UI), 6-3, 6-3
6. Nina Yaftali (UM) def. Hilary Tyler (UI), 6-0, 6-3
1. #21 DaCosta/Delicata (UM) def. Racette/Veselinovic (UI), 8-6
2. Zhukova/Tyler (UI) vs. Rutherford/Allie Shafner (UM, 6-7, Abandoned
3. Exon/Streifler (UM) def. Mintz/Lee (UI), 8-5