May 12, 2006
MIAMI, FL - No. 31 Iowa was defeated, 4-1 today, by No. 39 Florida International University. Iowa finishes the season with an 18-6 overall record.
In doubles play, FIU claimed the point with wins in two matches. The match between Petraukaite/D'Armas and Mintz/Berry was unfinished at 7-7.
In singles competition, No. 85 Mili Veselinovic finished first, and tied the match score at 1-1 with her win over Shilla D'Armas, 6-1, 6-1 at the number three position. The next match to finish was at the number five singles spot, between Nikkita Fountain and Krissy Dowlin. Dowlin lost, 6-3, 6-2, putting FIU ahead in the match.
The Hawkeyes could not make a comeback. Jacqueline Lee was defeated by Marijana Cutuk, 6-2, 6-3, at the number four position, and Hillary Mintz was defeated, 7-5, 6-1, by Egle Petraukaite, at the number two singles spot. The match between No. 79 Paula Zabala and No. 39 Meg Racette was unfinished at 5-7, 5-4, as was the match between Desanka Jovanovic and Merel Beelen, at 6-0, 2-6, 3-4.
1. #79 Paula Zabala (FIU) vs. #39 Megan Racette (IOWA) 5-7, 5-4, unfinished
2. Petraukaite (FIU) def. Hillary Mintz (IOWA) 7-5, 6-1
3. #85 Milica Veselinovic (IOWA) def. Shilla D'Armas (FIU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Marijana Cutuk (FIU) def. Jacqueline Lee (IOWA) 6-2, 6-3
5. Nikkita Fountain (FIU) def. Krissy Dowlin (IOWA) 6-3, 6-2
6. Desanka Jovanovic (FIU) vs. Merel Beelen (IOWA) 6-0, 2-6, 3-4 unfinished
1. #20 Paula Zabala/Nikkita Fountain (FIU) def. #60 Megan Racette/Jacqueline Lee (IOWA) 8-6
2. Egle Petraukaite/Shilla D'Armas (FIU) vs. Hillary Mintz/Kayla Berry (IOWA) 7-7, unfinished
3. Courtney Jonson/Bruna Discordia (FIU) def. Krissy Dowlin/Milica Veselinovic (IOWA) 8-4