May 13, 2005
EVANSTON, IL -
The 46th-ranked Iowa women's tennis team fell to 23rd-ranked Notre Dame, 4-1, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. The Hawkeyes finish the season with a 14-10 record.
Iowa was unable to capture the doubles point against the Fighting Irish. Meg Racette and Milica Veselinovic dropped to sixth-ranked Catrina and Christian Thompson, 8-1. At No. 2 doubles, Hilary Tyler and Anastasia Zhukova lost to Brook Buck and Lauren Connelly, 8-4.
In singles, Veselinovic came away with the lone Hawkeye point. She defeated Lauren Connelly in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1, at the No. 4 spot. Jacqueline Lee was up a set against Kristina Stastny, 7-6 (5), 2-5, when the match was abandoned. Hillary Mintz was also putting up a strong effort against 87th-ranked Buck, 2-6, 6-3, 2-4, when their match was abandoned.
Notre Dame - 4
Iowa - 1
1. #44 Catrina Thompson (ND) def. Meg Racette (UI), 6-1, 6-2
2. Hillary Mintz (UI) vs. #87 Brook Buck (ND), 2-6, 6-3, 2-4, abandoned
3. Christian Thompson (ND) def. Anastasia Zhukova (UI), 7-5, 6-3
4. Milica Veselinovic (UI) def. Lauren Connelly (ND), 6-2, 6-1
5. Jacqueline Lee (UI) vs. Kristina Stastny (ND), 7-6 (5), 2-5, abandoned
6. Sarah Jane Connelly (ND) def. Hilary Tyler (UI), 6-2, 6-2
1. #6 Thompson/Thompson (ND) def. Racette/Veselinovic (UI), 8-1
2. Buck/L. Connelly (ND) def. Zhukova/Tyler (UI), 8-4
3. Mintz/Lee (UI) vs. Stastny/S.J. Connelly (ND), 5-7, abandoned