Oct. 5, 2013
NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- The University of Iowa women's tennis team split six singles matches against Brown University on the opening day of the Bulldog Invitation hosted by Yale University.
Annette Dohanics (6-4, 6-4) and Aimee Tarun (6-4, 6-2) won in straight sets (6-4, 6-4), while Katie Zordani rallied for a three-set win (7-5, 4-6, 6-3) in her season debut.
"Katie Zordani did a great job coming back from 3-1 down in the third set to win," said UI head coach Katie Dougherty. "Singles as a whole was much better. The execution in doubles wasn't there. We got better as the day went on."
The Hawkeyes were swept in three doubles matches against Dartmouth, and return to the court today to face the Big Green in singles. Iowa's doubles teams face Boston College today.
Iowa vs. Brown
1) Hannah Camhi (Brown) def. Shelby Talcott (Iowa) 6-3,3-6,6-2
2) Dayna Lord (Brown) def. Caitlin Hindmarsh (Iowa) 6-4,6-2
3) Niki Uberoi (Brown) def. Ellen Silver (Iowa) 6-2, ret
4) Annette Dohanics (Iowa) def. Sarah Kandath (Brown) 6-4,6-4
5) Katie Zordani (Iowa) def. Ammu Mandalap (Brown) 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
6) Aimee Tarun (Iowa) def. Mariska Chamdani (Brown) 6-4, 6-2
Iowa vs. Dartmouth
1) Ng/Yau (Dartmouth) def. Zordani/Talcott (Iowa) 8-4
2) Matsuoka/Keong (Dartmouth) def. Hindmarsh/Silver (Iowa) 8-7(5)
3) Crawford/Tan (Dartmouth) def. Tarun/Dohanics (Iowa) 8-4